Wednesday 29 December 2010

New Song: Innocent Eyes

Funny way to spend Christmas, writing songs... but then again there is no right or wrong way to spend Christmas, is there?
This new song called Innocent Eyes is part of my 'Girl's Names' series of songs, and lyrically it is about someone quite specific, who I'm not going to name here. She's somebody I knew from a while back, and I found her very attractive in a 'cute' sort of way, and she was a talented individual and a very nice person. I never told her though, and I doubt she ever guessed, so this all remains a part of my memory and thankfully not hers. Even though we are a long way from each other now, if we found ourselves in the same place at the same time I'm sure we'd say hello and have a conversation, but it wouldn't be anything more than two old friends catching up and I'm perfectly happy with that.

Musically I went for something a bit different here. I wanted it to sound like a happy song - this was before I wrote the lyrics to it so it could have been bittersweet but it turned out happy anyway, what on earth is wrong with me? So I put my capo on the 5th fret of my acoustic and stuck to major cords. I managed to hit the low and then the high part of a G chord (C) and decided to do a reggae-style rhythm to it; not somewhere I've gone before but it beats normal strumming. When it hits the chorus it's all swinging strumming, but hopefully that should provide enough contrast to keep it a little more interesting.

One thing that's horrifying me at the moment is the possibility of a 'solo' section that will feature me whistling. If that happens, well...

Still, it's in development so who knows what will happen. I'll let you know as soon as I get to play it live!

No comments:

Post a Comment