Friday 8 April 2011

7/4/2011 Jam Night at the Samson and Lion

Hi there. I happened across this one on the way back to the Music Centre from Netherton, and I noticed that there was a jam night there on Thursdays so I thought I'd check it out. I found that it wasn't on the night I went, but when I told the lady at the bar that I'd brought my guitar, she said that by all means I could play it!

I'm not going to go through each and every song I played because it was pretty much making it all up as I go along and I've forgotten most of them now. I remember A Little Respect going down very well indeed, that never fails to raise a smile! This was also the first time that I played On A Day Like This live (not counting the Plastic Pantomime gig, of course,) and as a sing-along chorus I actually think the song is better than Hey Jude (which Ken the keyboard player and owner of the whole gaff put in at some point) but it didn't work so well here because, unless you know the song, you're not going to sing along to it! And with at the very most eight regulars down there that night, not many people knew it. Teenage Kicks went down well, as did Summer of '69, you cannot go wrong with that. And there's a lot of stuff from the '60s that I'd probably better learn as well.

All in all I had a terrific time that night and I'm very glad I went; I don't think it's going to work miracles for me in terms of my own material because the guys seem to prefer covers but maybe there's a gig in it for the Fakes at some point?

Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment