Thursday 14 July 2011

13/7/2011 Katie's Jam Sessions

Just a quick one...

Dale turned round and said to me last time I was at Katie's that the Jam Sessions that run on Wednesday needs some more bass players, so I decided to take my bass down tonight and have a go. What tends to happen is that a band is booked to play a 'featured set' and whoever else is there jams around the slot; not quite the concept of a Jam Night you'd pick up from the Maverick but that's how LC is making it work so there you go.

I got up with LC on guitar and Rob on the drums, and started off with some disco-funk, and it worked once we'd found a key we were happy with (the guitar-friendly E.) Moved on to some classic rock style, er, rock, which worked really well as well. I've jammed with these guys a couple of times before and sometimes in can feel like we're a band already because of the ease at which we communicate! I tried some ill-advised riffs on the bass that didn't work too well, plus some slow jamming which worked but wasn't very exciting, before LC turned up the metal, drop-tuned his guitar and played some really heavy riffs to jam along too. I didn't follow this one so well as this sort of thing tends to break away from the trends of where I would expect to have to go with a bass guitar, then again I don't play this style of music very much so perhaps this isn't surprising. But, I kept up, and the guys waiting to go on seemed to like it!

Whew, that's all my blogging done for the day. It'll be a while before my next one as I'm not sure when my next gig will be, though I do need to get down the Yardbird again before too long. See you soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment