Sunday 30 June 2013

A Lonely Night for my G String at the Robin 2, 25/6/2013

While some run-of-the-mill rapper and his wife who is famous but I really don't know why name their child North West, (Jesus wept,) some real musicians were getting it done at The Robin 2 on Tuesday Night. So I just want to say before I get started on my own performance what a great night it was and how well the other musicians did; I didn't catch all your names but it was a great night from all of you and long may it continue.

I've played The Robin 2 a few times now and I've always managed to feel like I'm punching a little above my weight, playing to a large and therefore not very densely packed room. The audience has always been polite enough, and were quite friendly tonight, but there's always been a feeling like there's a little more at stake here than there were at some other venues.

The set list was:

The Boys of Summer
Zephyr Song
A Lonely Night
Bitterness
Morning Glory
Never Forget You

I have to say I've been doing quite well for songs at some of these open mics! I'm used to getting 3, maybe 4 songs, and the last few I've been doing 5 or 6 at a time. Not bad!

Didn't get off to a flying start tonight though, as I broke my G string (it would have to be) not 2 minutes into the first song. After the obligatory growl of 'Bollocks' to the audience, pulling the string out of the way of the guitar and skewering my hand on it, I struggled through the rest of the song with 5 strings. Thankfully it didn't stop me playing the bit in the middle of The Boys of Summer where I rely on an octave in the 'C' chord shape to try and emulate the keyboard part in the song, but I know from checking my tuning afterwards that my guitar wasn't well in tune.

Thankfully Sam had a spare guitar and I got through the rest of the set with a decent if unfamiliar Takamine (I think.) I needed a few minutes to adjust the strap, and because there was no strap button on the top of the guitar it was secured on with a piece of string around the headstock. This is one of my pet hates of acoustic guitars, and why I did most acoustic gigs prior to last April sitting down. The problem I found with it was the balance of the guitar, I couldn't hold the guitar in a comfortable enough position to play it as well as my own. I did OK with it though.

When it came to playing my own songs I decided not to put the 'Dani California' bit into A Lonely Night. (If you haven't heard the song, after I realised that I blatantly copied the tune in the verse off Dani California from the Red Hot Chili Peppers, I decided to be even more cheeky with it and put the chorus to their song just before the last chorus to mine.) Tonight it was because I'd only just played Zephyr Song, and I didn't want to put 2 Red Hot Chili Peppers songs next to each other. But thinking about it, as I'm doing mainly covers at the moment, putting another cover into one of my own songs... I don't know, the tongue-in-cheek humour intended might actually come across more like I'm taking the piss out of myself. I do far too much of that already!

I'm not sure if Sam appreciated me banging on his guitar during Bitterness, but he was clapping along to the appropriate part so that was good as well.

I'm still not too sure about Morning Glory; I played it solidly enough but I don't know whether Oasis has been done to death, or it's just the way I'm playing it because it isn't within my comfortable singing range (actually, very few things are!) I'll play it another few times to try and gauge it; it's a good enough song good and I need to give it a chance. Thankfully Never Forget You never fails to raise a smile, if not from the audience then from me and that's always a good thing!

So all things considered it wasn't a bad set, let down by my string breaking. I shouldn't have let that happen, but because I had some problems with the bridge pins afterwards, if I'd tried to change the strings before I came out then I wouldn't have come out at all. The audience... well, there were about as many people there as I might expect for an acoustic gig, and certainly more of them than some of the audiences I've played to when I've actually been booked to play, but because of the layout of the room, their reaction was difficult to gauge. I did get a couple of guys afterwards though, telling me that I do the 'Angry Young Man' thing very well! As they weren't actually playing themselves, it meant a lot to hear that for people who were just there to see the open mic!

What's next? I think Rich Sadler's doing an jam night for the first time at the Blue Brick in Brierley Hill next Tuesday, so I'm going to go along to that and see what he's got going on down there. I've played there before with The Fakes, and on my own as well if you count the time when the Fakes had actually finished and I got my acoustic guitar out and played a couple of Oasis songs I didn't really know the words to to a few people who's last one should have been about an hour and a half ago, who were only too happy to fill in the words for me.

Let's hope this one stays a little more sober!

Matt

2 comments:

  1. Well done you!And don't worry about North, they could've called him:
    Gone
    Way Out
    Into The
    Wing
    Gondor
    Welcome Tu Da

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cheers Dad! Yes, I guess they could, though I doubt they have the imagination...

    ReplyDelete