Sunday 22 May 2011

13/5/2011: Full Volume at Stafford University

How did I get in to this one???

Actually it was because one of the team, Jess, knew Sam Draisey through a mutual friend. Sam text me on Monday asking if I wanted a gig at Stafford Uni on Friday, I got in touch with Jess, Jess got back to me two days later asking if I could come for a rehearsal and the gig on Friday, both of which I assumed would be in the evening and actually turned out to be in the day, and on Friday we actually played a recorded TV show for a student project. Without knowing what will eventually come of it, I did 2 takes. The first was with 2 songs and a short interview, and the second was with three songs. Here's how it went...

For the first one I did Bitterness, this and Get Out Of My Head arguably being my two best songs and as such the ones I wanted to showcase on TV! I played Bitterness as well as I needed to, I think, though I had to edit out the naughty words because of the nature of the gig. Always good to find these things out! This is probably the first time I've been nervous for a while, because recording for a TV show isn't all that familiar to me, so the adrenaline was pumping and I was sweating and all the rest of it. I'm sure you wanted that image. But I needn't have worried, the song went down very well and Jude who was directing it said she had it going around in her head afterwards so I can't argue with that!

Next came Get Out Of My Head. A bit different to what had gone before! This one I played well, I fluffed a chord in the first take I think, and some of the words trying to get back on track, but I'm pretty sure they're going to run with the second take anyway so I'm not going to worry too much about it. I'm not sure this one went down as well; the audience being mainly students they were less convinced by my more arty, pretentious material than they were by my spiteful aggression.

At the first take, the audience were supposed to vote for their favourite band/artist. The Kiesters Brown won it, I didn't get any votes as far as I could see but I'm cool with that; the audience was comprised of the friends that the bands had brought with them and were hardly likely to vote for anyone else no matter how well they played!

When I was asked for a third song it was between Storm from the North or We Will Survive. I went with Survive partly because of the demographic, and also because of the fact that I know the song that little bit better, and for the reasons previously discussed I find Storm quite difficult to play properly. I was being recorded, after all. I announced it as my DragonForce style ballad, played it to quite raucous applause from a crowd who seemed to really like it!

When they send me the DVD to it I'll put my parts up on YouTube for all to see. I'll leave the rest alone, though I will try and link up with all the other bands so that they can see what we've been up to. But for now, I'm very pleased with the way it went and I hope to work with those guys again in the future!

No comments:

Post a Comment