Thursday 26 May 2011

17/5/2011: The Yardbird Open Night

I was a bit cheeky with this one; I knew the open part of the night didn't start until 10pm so I went to the city, couldn't park my car, turned up at around 10:15 and asked for a slot. There were some other guys on so time was tight, but I did at least manage to get a couple of songs in so big thanks to Jason for that.

It was a bit tougher this time; I played Storm From The North first considering how well it went down last time and I actually played it significantly better. Partly because I know the song so much better now. Mostly because I got all the way thorugh it without forgetting the words or breaking a string. It seemed to go down OK but considering I went down a, er, Storm, last time I played the Yardbird, somehow the same magic just didn't seem to be there.

I had one more song and because it had gone down so well when I did Full Volume the Friday before, I elected to play We Will Survive. I don't think this was the right decision to be honest, I'd have been better off with Get Out Of My Head. There's usually a substantial divide between audiences; people looking to be 'entertained' tend to prefer the fast rocky songs like We Will Survive, and people looking for a bit more depth in their songs - and this tends to coincide with the audience being a bit older, though not necessarily at the Yardbird - prefer my 'arty' songs like Get Out Of My Head. In hindsight, I'd suggest that the Yardbird falls under the latter category, and I abstained from playing one of my more complex songs in front of an audience that would really appreciate it. That being said, I played it OK, got a cheer from someone when I said I'd played it at Stafford University, and I saw Amy singing along to the chorus as well so that's always a nice feeling.

All in all not my best, but given the circumstances I don't think I can be blamed for that. At least I was better than the two lads who were on before me singing about having threesomes...

No comments:

Post a Comment