Thursday 22 December 2011

17/12/2011: Grand Theft Audio at the Fordhouse Cricket Club

I didn't think to write my set list down for this one. Let's hope I can remember it...

This one came about because someone dropped out of the gig that Grand Theft Audio were doing at the Fordhouse Cricket Club in Wolverhampton, and Sam was kind enough to ask me to fill in. I was only too happy to oblige...

By the precedent of the gig we had done last Wednesday, Storm from the North appeared to be working quite well as the set opener, so I decided to go for it again. I'm not entirely sure but I think this one might have suffered a bit from sound problems; because of circumstances beyond any capacity or desire to control I didn't get a soundcheck and to me it didn't sound all that good. I played it OK as far as I know but it wasn't coming through the foldback monitors very clearly. That being said, it probably sounded nothing like how it comes out the front, and nobody said anything to me afterwards, so it was probably OK.

I introduced Bitterness as 'A reasonably polite version of the song that should be familiar to anyone who's seen me before,' which was about half the people in the room. So one of my biggest guns was fired early... possibly not too good a choice now that I think about it, at the time I reckon I'd have thought that I needed to keep the mood cheery and didn't want to lower the tone by playing a spiteful tirade of abuse, swearing or no, right at the end. (By the way, I chose to do the clean version because there were a significant number of small children in the room.) I played it OK, probably not my best but not bad at all.

Get Out Of My Head was next, but for once this one was pretty nonedescript. I can't really think of anything to say about this one, although thinking about it I've actually gone and relegated it to the mid-set jobbers...

And then I went and mucked it all up AGAIN by forgetting the same lyric in The First Footprint that I did the previous Wednesday at Katies. This was something of a let-down for me, especially since I stopped to think about it. I crawed through the song, thinking that though I'd teased the audience by singing the first line of All I Want For Christmas is You - a song I neither know how to sing nor play - I couldn't helpt thinking I'd have been better off singing that one.

I decided not to go out on a limb and play the slow intro to We Will Survive, as I needed to recover from the last song and it was not the time for experimentation! This one was actually quite worrying as I found myself unable to breathe for those last couple of choruses. Thinking about it, I've got another gig tomorrow - I'll check this one again. If this is something to do with the weight I've gained over the last year then I guess this will be as good an excuse as I need to do some exercise, stop eating crap and drop some of it...

I know the tone of this blog will have come across as quite negative, so let me just say it wasn't actually as bad as all that. I'm picking myself up on things I need to improve but it's not like these little mistakes spoiled the gig for me or the night for anyone else. It actually went OK. That's probably the last gig I'll do for Sam this year so I want to take this opportunity to thank him for all his support this year, I reckon about a third of what I've done couldn't have happened without him so well done, the music scene in Wolverhampton would be a poorer place without him!

No comments:

Post a Comment