Saturday 24 December 2011

24/12/2011: Mary Stevens Park

This was an open air gig at the bandstand in the park, hosted by Acoustic Brew. I'm not going to do a track by track on this one, because unfortunately I was let down by losing power to the sound system and I have a feeling my set was a constant stream of feedback - and not the constructive kind. But for the record, the set list was:

We Will Survive (slow intro)
Girl's Names
Walkin' On The Sun
Storm from the North
The First Footprint
Get Out Of My Head
Bitterness

A couple of things though:

I'd borrowed Dale's guitar because mine wasn't coming through very well in the open air environment, and it was the first time I'd done an acoustic gig - or any gig, thinking about it - with a guitar in Eflat tuning. For the most part it worked OK but with some of those capo'd songs, the close proximity of the frets really did make them harder to play accurately. Then again, that also coincided with the first time I've ever played Walkin' On The Sun in the right key! I mention this because when I get my new guitar (hey, a guy can dream) I'm thinking of keeping it in Eflat tuning. I'm not sure how good an idea this is because it's just so I can play things like Smash Mouth, 30 Seconds To Mars etc... I've never actually written anything in Eflat. Though if I ever do get round to doing Crashpoint again it is something I could consider as it fits my voice a little better - in that environment. On the other hand, if I had a guitar permanently in Eflat, chances are I might write something in the tuning!

I also made the exact same mistake I did when I played a similar set up in Stourbridge - not wear fingerless gloves! My fingers were absolutely frozen and honestly I'm surprised I managed to keep the notes as accurate as I did! Fair enough I only do this once a year, but it wouldn't be a bad investment, all things considered.

A nice day, in all. No one went mad for it but no one would in this sort of environment, and as an acoustic act I was basically background noise for a couple of hours out in the park. Glorified busking really. I've had worse days!

No comments:

Post a Comment